Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Home Base Operations (aka Why I'm Not Calling You)

So, I have this job in August that I have been scheduled to do for almost 4 months now. No I don't work for the President, nor do my duties involve life or death on a regular basis, however it is a JOB, and therefor should be taken seriously.

I work most days from 8 am to 10 pm and when I'm not at work, I'm either driving to or from, trying to put together food for my day or sleeping because I'm utterly exhausted. So no, I'm sorry I don't have time to call you, or answer a million texts from you. If this upsets you or you feel slighted, I'm sorry, I can't change that. I've been warning everyone in my life for months now that this was coming, and this is very important to me.

No, I can't just leave the room any time I want to answer the phone, or make a call. I am in the middle of back to back rehearsals most days, both taking care of the performers onstage and solving problems for that evening's concert. Yes I have two assistants, but neither of them have ever been through SummerFest before and therefor I am the only one who knows the answers o questions the musicians might have. That is what I'm here for. The only reason I'm able to write this now, is because I have my computer in front of me while I sit in rehearsal.

This is a job in which I have worked my way up. Last year I was the ASM and this year I am the lead Stage Manager. This is one of the few stage management jobs in which I actually enjoy myself, and feel like I have accomplished something. I work with world famous classical musicians, people who have been in the business for the last 5 decades, like Menahem Pressler who is performing tonight. I get to listen to some of the most amazing musicians performing most intricate music in the world.

This the field that if I do stage manage at all, I will be stage managing in. Classical Music Festivals and concerts.

So when you text me 5 times a day and get upset because I'm not calling you back, know that frankly I am upset that you are tying up my work phone line and interupting the busy schedule that is my day. Yes I miss you, but I am fulfilling my dreams at the moment and I have to put myself first at the moment. (Espeacially when I usually go out of my way and put everyone else first most of the time.)

If you have a problem with that, I can't help you.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, then don't worry. I love you and I'll see you in a month.

P.S. Maybe if you were more understanding, I would be a little more willing to use my miniscule breaks to call you back.

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP